Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Planting Herbs, Cucurbits, Celery

Yesterday I got the herb seedlings in, seeded some cilantro and basil, planted some of the cucurbits, and threw in the celery I'd picked up. Of all the seedlings, the celery seemed amazingly happy considering it was in a pot for so long--it seems like it will be a good performer. I also prepared the seedbed for my radish/carrot/turnip plot.

July 15th:

Herb Seedlings
  • celery
  • oregano
  • marjoram
  • rosemary
  • thyme
  • sage
  • flat-leaf and curly parsley
Herb Seeds
  • cilantro
  • basil
  • dill
Misc. Seedlings (from Joel's Greenhouse)
  • 1 bush-style cucumber seedling
  • 1 acorn squash seedling
Cucurbit Seeds
  • Amour Pickling Cuke
  • 8-ball Summer Squash
  • Sunburst Patty Pan Summer Squash
I will probably plant more cucurbits when I find the space. I also neglected to get the watermelon seedlings in the ground, and I'm not sure where to put them since they get so dang big.

The herbs are almost all in the back (east) side of the garden. Their bed might be a bit small, but I can always move them if need be. With experience my bed preparation has improved, and now all the beds have a water-retaining lip. All the plants in the back row were heavily fertilized with manure, but did not have added fertilizer.

Next up: seeding my root vegetable bed and fertilizing and seeding my leafy green bed. It's expected to storm heavily tonight, so I won't have to water.

1 comment:

Mimi Cooks said...

you have not planted any mint? i love mint with tea..i only drink my tea with fresh mint! make sure when you plant mint that it is contained in an area where it won't spread out...mint is like weeds, it takes over the land! but it is really good in salads and some cooked dishes such as lamb and stuffed zucchinis with yogurt sauce, check it out here: http://mimicooks.com/2008/02/stuffed-zucchinis-with-yogurt-sauce.html
i do not plant anything,but really nice blog,i think it is satisfying in a way to see your fruit of labor and eat it too !