Saturday, December 20, 2008

2008 Garden Awards and Yearbook

And now, ladies and gentlemen, awards and accolades will be presented to the best garden performers of 2008!

Most Aptly Named:
Provider Green Bean

Most Adorable:
Hakurei Turnip
8-Ball Zucchini (runner up)

Biggest Disappointment:
Carson Yellow Wax Bean

Least Successful Category:
Tomatoes
Bell Peppers (runner up)

Most Successful Category:
Turnips

Category I wish I had more of:
Carrots

Category I wish I had less of:
Greens

Most Pleasant Surprise:
Amour Pickling Cucumber
Celery (runner up)

Most Useless Vegetable of All Time:
Kholrabi

Most Underutilized (by me):
Summerfest Komatsuna Greens
Goldberg Golden Purslane

Most Prolific per Area:
Purple Top White Globe Turnip
Sunburst Patty Pan Summer Squash

Sunburst

Most Rewarding per Effort:
The Herb Garden

Cool Names:
  • Scarlet Queen Turnip (most evocative)

The Scarlet Queen

  • White Satin Carrot (sexiest)

White Satin
  • Sugarsnax Carrot (most descriptive)
  • Provider Green Bean (most apt)
  • Purple Top White Globe Turnip (most obvious)
Exactly what it looks like.

  • Cupidon French Filet Bean (most lyrical)


Cupidon, by W. A. Bouguereau.

  • 8-Ball Summer Squash (most amusing)

Eight Ball


Described as "Moon Food":
Purple Kholrabi
Toscano Kale
Sunburst Patty Pan Summer Squash

Most Beautiful:
Redleaf Amaranth
Garnet Giant Mustard Greens

Most Unpleasant Tasting:
Garnet Giant Mustard Greens

Agreed Upon as Most Delicious:
Cauliflower

And finally...

If I had to take one variety with me on a space ship/desert island:
Provider Green Bean (greatest overall nutrition, yield, and ease of growing)

If I were to sow one variety in the garden of my enemies:
Garnet Giant Mustard Greens

1 comment: